Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Man, this thread is still alive haha

Automatic is great for vans and suvs
cvt's are great for gas mileage
paddle shifting is great for quick lap times.

But for overall best experience behind the wheel, manual will always be the best.
Can you prove that? Is there any data for "best experience"? Or is that simply a personal thing? The best driving experience I've ever had has been behind the wheel of 2.5 tonne trucks and up, doing donuts in an 11 tonne 6x6 truck on ice has to be up there as the most fun/awesome experience I've ever had while driving.

What's the difference between shifting a gear with paddles or the gear selector in M and and in a manual? A third pedal, that's it. The only disadvantage(maybe, what I'm about to say here makes it more of an advantage) that an auto has, is that in M mode, you can't over rev, or under rev the engine. Apart from that, I can use the paddle or the selector level to pick the gear I want, and it's the same experience as a manual tranny, minus the third pedal.

As I said before, the third pedal doesn't require extra concentration, unless you're brand new to driving. (as MR. @Tcoat has covered in great detail)

For what my car has become (a weekend car, that maybe gets 1000KM put on it in a month) I could have either transmission and be equally happy. But what gets on my nerves is when people come in here with an elitist attitude that it seems only a third pedal brings. I'm not calling you out on it, and you'd only have to read a page or two to see who I am referring to.

I could go way more in depth here, but that won't change a lot of people's attitude (not opinion, those are harder to change) about the AT in THIS car specifically. But yeah, it does make me chuckle to myself when I see people say "you're an idiot if you get this car with an AT", regardless of what the magazines, blogs or reviewers say they aren't the end user.

One last point, it's always the elitist third pedal bro dudes who come in with negative things to say and not be able to form an intelligent point/argument and that is really just the icing on the cake for someone like me, who owns an AT, but can drive a manual fairly well (not amazingly, but possibly a touch better than the average bear)
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
drewbot (09-05-2015), soulreapersteve (09-05-2015), why? (09-05-2015)