Old 08-12-2022, 09:45 AM   #371
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
- I have hypothesized that the new 5-sided pick up is suby's solution to deal with a partial blocked pick up that was observed in their previous engines. I will repeat it again, this is not Suby's first rodeo with RTV issues but without using enough of it, their engines will leak (like most other subies). While the solution seems primitive, i am sure suby engineers have contraints to work within, mainly cost. Better solutions can be derived but this could be the most cost effective one. I think the theory is plausible, but again, just my opinion.
And I will repeat again that this is in no way, shape, or form how a design engineer would ever approach this issue. The whole idea that they would say "Oh we had RTV in a few engines so let's make a big basket so it can catch it" may be something the Bubba School of Engineering may consider but not the team of hundreds of very qualified engineers that Subaru employs. For one thing it adds costs and that will be completely against any mission statement they have!
The new pickup is in all probability there to simply improve flow all the time not to strain out wayward sealant. I have wondered if they had oil temperature issues so they added the increased air flow, oil cooler and bigger pickup to address that.