View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
zippee

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Thanks for chiming in with personal experience.
I guess when you had it done it was still a unfamiliar procedure which caused your delay.
I'm sure Subaru/Toyota would allow for in engine service were it possible since they were paying for warranty work. Upon looking at pictures of the shim it's not a simple shaped part that can just be sanded down. Not to mention sanding would create pores and weaken the metal.

I thought by buying a late year model i would have a more refined car but I guess there's still major issues.
I hope for just a re-flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
TSB says to measure the valve clearance before reprogramming and if it's a 2017, it'll probably need shims, production changes took place in '18 I think, so the only ones that are reflash-only are the '19s.

Mine went through the process in late-ish 2019, it had started throwing the codes spring '18 and it took a while for Toyota to touch it without having their own version of the TSB published, which took a while. In the end it was engine out and 12 shims, lost the car for a month, but came out fine on the other end.

If yours DOES need shims, I don't think covid will have improved the supply chain for those parts...

I WISH it would have popped when out of warranty, that way I would have dealt with the mechanical side myself and just paid for the reflash. If shims are a few thousands tight, it's easy to clearance with a roloc instead of waiting weeks for parts, and I'm pretty sure it can be done in place with just the valve covers off insteat of lifting the cam carriers, leaving most of the engine factory fresh and sealed and being done with the issue in a weekend instead of a month.