Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFry View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_(automotive) ...so yes...it looks as if the part in question acts just like an upside down airplanes wing to create downforce...

Edit: http://www.rapid-racer.com/aerodynamic-upgrades.php BTW i hate this thread its 30 minutes later and im still researching this info just because...
LOL... well, you've been helpful enough that I can turn this into another "Umm... should I buy this car now, or wait?" or "I think the FR-S can beat the Veyron on a curvy enough track!" threads, if it'll make you feel better! :happy0180:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsibarra View Post
As you assumed earlier, air will be moving faster underneath the car with correctly designed front lips and under body panels. Think of an airplane wing, or airfoil. Air moves faster on top of the wing and slower below. Slower air below, means higher pressure under the wing, thus causing lift. The intentions of the front lip and under panels is the exact opposite, thus creating higher pressure on top of the car which is your desired downforce.
Okay... so it really isn't just a case of weird aesthetics; the folks designing these front lips actually DO know what they're doing, and its just the 86's particular aerodynamics that mean its more effective to have that little upturned center on the lip. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that! So you'd reckon that, for maximum effectiveness of the front-lip, I should go ahead and order the under-panels as well?

Thanks guys! A million threads on suspension and exhaust mods, but aero gets treated like some sort of voodoo black magic on here.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
pward08 (03-23-2018), QFry (10-22-2012)