Old 02-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #77
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Maybe don't dream too hard? Corvette tried it in the C7, it was widely panned. And IIRC the 911's 7 speed manual isn't very popular either (did they drop it and go back to a 6 speed?). A 7-speed shift pattern forces narrower gates that seems to increase mis-shfting.

While the twins may be very well suited for track duty when appropriately equipped, the percentage of owners (vs. FT86 posters) who actually track these cars is tiny, and Subaru/Toyota would be crazy to set gear and FD ratios primarily for that market. I'd like to see the current FD ratio retained but a taller sixth gear provided that allows you to lope along at about 2800 rpm at 75 mph. With the new engine's torque curve that rpm range should be more than adequate for keeping up with traffic while eliminating most engine or exhaust drone.
Yes yes, and I'll dream forever because it will never happen. I will likely snag a C7 some day just for that purpose. Though if I'm not mistaking, the gearing in that is not favorable to me.

I certainly don't believe they will set gear/FD ratios for the track market. I personally love the gear ratio for the streets. After owning this car, I've learned that taller gears just aren't for me anymore (at least for the little time MT's have left in this world, I love the quick shift experience)! But what you say is true and would do no harm to the many who complain about it. Consider though, that for a significant change in sound and annoyance, you'd want to be running even less than 2800 RPM. Currently with the 4.3, you're at 3140 RPM @ 70. 340 RPM may not do enough justice to sound difference - yet it changes the 6th ratio by quite a lot: 0.767 down to 0.688. I'm sure you're doing over 70 at times, so you'll still be hitting over 3K RPM all the time. You'd be looking at low 0.6 or even high 0.5's to get what you want in 6th, and I would despise that.

In any case, I'm not here to argue over this, I understand your point, I am simply on the other side of the fence where I don't mind the ratio so much.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote