View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 02:54 AM   #24
NutGud

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I went for another drive with my partner today with both this and our NB8A MX5.

The lug nuts were loose as soon as we'll took off. So I tighten them up. Lucky we checked as they were all a little looser then I would have thought.

Anyway, we hit a back road and noticed that felt the same as yesterday.
Basically very floaty up front and understeer.
TC light would come on very regularly, even when barely trying to corner fast or anything.

We played with the coilovers, going from stiff (9/12 front/back, then back to soft (2/12) front/back.
Having stiffer helped slightly but not really.

What we both noticed was that turning traction control off completely (left button held down for 10 seconds), that the car would feel a lot better. Not how the mx5 felt but a whole lot better. Much less under steer and much less floaty.
It gave you a lot more confidence.
What the car does still feel is that there is a bit of under steer and when you are putting the power down (even in longer, not sharp corners) that the car would float and push you over in the direction you pointed the wheel. The steering would also be light.
This was still a whole lot better and gave you more confidence then before.

Another reason too we believe the traction control is a part of the issue is that it seems to be very sensitive when driving normally around roundabouts or on high speed corners on bumpy back roads (driving normal to the speed limit not spirited).
With traction control off, you can go much faster around roundabouts without issue. There is more then enough grip in the tyres, and not enough power to blast them off.

So after driving the mx5 back to back, it seems that we have to get an alignment.

So I'm thinking something:

Front:
0 toe
Neg 2.5 degrees of camber (still is a daily)

Rear:
0.5mm toe each side (1mm total toe)
Hopefully 2 degrees of Negative camber (as stock rear control arms)

Also front spring rates are 6kg and rears are 4.5kg. When talking to MCA they recommended the upgraded spring rate.

Long story short:
Car with traction control off, the car feels better but still is slightly floaty and understeery.

Traction Control on, very floaty and under steer prone. No confidence and almost scary.

Pretty sure its just an alignment. Well I'm hoping so.

I appreciate all the replies and will be sure to update as soon as I can get it realigned.

Edit:
Also I don't want to remove any of the sway bars to fix the problem at this stage. I totally get you can use them to tune the car for over/under steer but the car is basically stock with slightly wider tyres (lighter wheels) and coilovers (which are a bit more premium then average).
Currently the car is on stock front and rear sway bars.

Edit 2:
I'm confident that I'm not going into corners with either too much speed or steering angle. Smooth inputs in and slightly more aggressive on the way out once the wheel is going back to straight.
Also I'm still on public roads and I like to make sure that there is a good safety margin and I'm inside the lines.

Last edited by NutGud; 05-24-2020 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Added text to the bottom
NutGud is offline   Reply With Quote