Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Ugh...

One of the guys I'm working with started going off about reservists tonight. It took every ounce of self control I had to not say "let's step outside and you can go step by step why my service means nothing to this beautiful country of ours"

He didn't seem to understand that just because a reservist didn't get a chance to go overseas, that doesn't make their accomplishments any less important. That kind of shit really bums me out.

I never got the chance to go when I put my name in because I had just turned 18, and was in college. My CO said to me that I should finish up my studies first and then make that call. I'm still full of regret that I didn't push it harder. But, on the bright side, I do not have PTSD and I do not have to fight with Veterans Affairs to be able to get the help that I'm entitled to, unlike too many of my friends.

Edit: this is compounded by another person (who is in fact a member on here) who also discredited my service because I never went overseas.

Pro tip: try shining then lacing up your combat boots and being berated every free weekend you have when you're 16 or 17 while doing your basic training. Missing things like prom, college convocation, deaths of family members all because you signed on the dotted line and agreed to unlimited liability.

Second edit: he also didn't seem to care when I mentioned that for 3 years, I was part of the brigades high readiness team that would deal with any local happening, from forest fires to flood relief to whatever the fuck else might happen that local authorities couldn't handle. For those wondering what my brigades area of responsibility was, it was all of Ontario.
I've had similar conversations with vets and current enlisters together about this topic. Seemed like most don't care too much if some guys have a desk job or were not sent overseas... until one of them speaks out of turn and makes comments they shouldn't be making. So I've only seen some guys give some people shit if they try to relate in some points or brag they don't have to do much in comparison. Just know your place and do your job. That's all that matters. Everyone gets along, for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
My legs are so dead... I still got tomorrow for SEMA.

Get Ripped!!

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (11-04-2016), Tcoat (11-04-2016)