Old 07-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro13 View Post
I think it is a misconception regarding what "reliability" means: Some people evaluates the reliability based in how much negligent has been taking care of the car, using and abusing it without the minimal care, not even check the oil once in a while... well, if this is the case, guess what? the older the car, the "most reliable" will be...Why? because the functionality is way less complex, i.e. I have a 2001 Corolla for a winter beater and even is a beater, I keep it well maintain, so the cars works great, but another factor is that ONLY have 2 ECU's: the Air Bag & Engine ECU. Of course was originally well designed meaning that if you provide the normal care, the car will be ok. That is why hard to compare old vs. new cars... The more the "electronic nannies" & gadgets have, the more the chances to fail and as T-Coat mention: the more the use, the more the wear.

Another clarification I like to express is that the key in a reliable vehicle comes from the design of the parts/components, so when was said "What's more reliable, a Japan made Subaru or a US made Toyota?" I said both, because in both cases the design came from Japan, so has to follow the Japan specs. Don't matter where is made has to follow the "TMS" (Toyota Manufacturing System).Two of the more recognized "reliable" cars from Toyota The Camry and Corolla, are made in North America.

But in summary, my bet is that our "Toyobarus" will be reliable enough, as long as we take care of them, because are well designed.
To add to this the definition of what "reliability" actually mean seams to have changed over the years. It used to mean does it start, run and stop like it should. Now leaky tail lights, squeaks from the trunk or chipped paint all are considered in the "reliability" category. People used to have Toyotas that were rotted out to the door handles but still ran fine and they said how reliable the car was. Now if the stitching on the seat isn't straight it will get a negative point for reliability from someplace.
gravitylover (07-25-2019), mazeroni (07-25-2019), Pedro13 (07-25-2019)