View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Does anyone make a kit that isn't over turbo'd for 91 octane?

I've been looking at various turbo kits; I want something that will fit well for a daily driver running 91 octane. My power goals, compared to many, are pretty modest. 250-300whp would be my goal. Under 250 I'm questioning if the cost is worth it. Over 300 I don't want to deal with the risks and extras required to run this engine and driveline at that power level. Every kit I look at advertises that the turbo is good for 400 hp, or 440 hp, or even over 500hp. This isn't a feature. It's just a waste of money and it provides a slower reacting turbo that doesn't build power until later in the rpm band than I'd prefer for what I'm doing with it.

I'm honestly considering having a kit built based on an IS20 GTI turbo - though I'm not sure if that's possible - as it seems to be a much better fit for a daily driver with realistic power goals for 91 octane, tuned to run at about 275whp which it should be fine with.

Of course I've looked at superchargers as well. The Jackson racing kit seems to develop its power a little too late in the rpm range. The Edelbrock kit has some serious issues with the map sensor. The harrop kit is close, very close. It just needs a smaller pulley. But in the end, with any SC kit, I'd be giving up precious power to driving the supercharger and I'd rather put that into the tires.

The AVO turbo kit seems to be closest, but dear God, can we get a kit designed around a turbo from this century? Even then it's still more turbo than this engine needs or will ever reliably use on 91 octane.

So, back to the original question. Are there any kits that come with a turbo that isn't selected for the MORE POWER crowd?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote