View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 10:22 PM   #509
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So I got the new front half of my mid pipe with the 22" x 4" magnaflow muffler in it. It helped out, but not as much as I hoped. I can at least get up to speed now without blowing out anyone's ear drums. I drove it for about 20 miles, and drove it with the stock front pipe after that for several miles. While the cold start with the stock front pipe is quieter, and the car is overall a bit quieter now, there is a crazy loud spurt from 2000 to 2200 RPM. It is equally more reasonable above 3000 RPM regardless of which front pipe I use. Above 4000 it gets loud, but never crazy like before. WOT above 4000 gets pretty loud, but the car can be driven at somewhat sane volume levels now. If and when the ACE quiet catback or axle back ever comes out, I will probably be on board with that. One thing that I did find out when putting on the header was that the core of my high flow cat is loose inside. This allows it to slide about 1cm from end to end. This would certainly affect flow, and possibly affect tone and volume. A new one has already been shipped with no questions asked. Great customer service from JDL! It is a magnaflow high flow cat by the way. No big deal, anxious to try it with a proper high flow cat, though I know that will not quiet it down any. I will endure with this set up for now, waiting to get my tune upgraded for the new header. Excited about the new Ace quiet muffler set up. I really think @CSG Mike is right, for my setup I believe I have the wrong catback. I loved the sound of the Corsa when naturally aspirated with no engine mods. I loved it with the Jackson Racing super charger with the JDL ultra quiet front pipe and stock exhaust manifold/header. I don't think the Corsa ever had this in mind during design and testing though. I will be looking at other options for cat back when funds recover from all this. I suspect this will get tiring as a daily driver. It sounds good though, really good! (At least it does to me) I hope no one thinks I am bashing this header, it really is exceptionally beautiful, and I cant wait to feel the difference with a proper tune. I may even try the stock cat back for fun, but I really do not like the look of it on the rear of the car. We will see how much I can endure...

Edit: I also realize that the new muffler will change sound a bit as it gets good and sooty, and goes through some heat cycles. It took a little time for the Corsa system to come into its own when I first installed it- but it did. Im going to give it a bit before I do anything permanent. Definitely awaiting results of Ace cat back! Hopefully it becomes available.
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twag4 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-04-2015), jawn (11-03-2015)