Old 05-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Disclaimer: I have signed the petition. I am also part of PADA (who started the petition) and I am also the CASC-OR Time Attack Director.

That said, the petition makes me kinda pause... on one hand, it seems somewhat out of touch while I see small businesses collapse and here's a bunch of "racers" who want to race circles around the track. Its somewhat tone-deaf to that side of things though you can always argue that the tracks also support a lot of small businesses.

Also, while the driving itself is isolated, the paddock and the car culture thing these days are viewed very negatively with people tending to gather to talk about cars and stuff. That alone, scientifically, would raise alarms as a huddle is something everyone should be avoiding.

On the other hand, there have been ZERO cases of transmission of Covid at a motorsports event based on what we ran in 2020. Granted, that was before we had the new variants but still. ZERO.

So, I'm kinda torn but still signed it.
The paddock thing could be controlled with some very simple observation and enforcement.

The only objection I had with the statement of petition was the whole "it will reduce street racing". It has been my experience that the vast majority of people that participate in any for of street racing beyond "I beat you at the light" do not track their cars. Part of the whole thrill to them is the very fact that street racing is illegal and they feel like outlaws.
BrahmaBull1990 (05-21-2021), Jordanwolf (05-14-2021)