Old 05-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #68
WolfWings

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium, Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
But what are springrates of chuhatsu vs original rally shock springs? Are they close enough for shocks valving to match rates of chuhatsu springs? Also is diameter of springs same so that rest, like spring perches, are compatible & springs interchangeable?
Well as you copy-pasted later the "TRD Rally" springs are MUCH stiffer than OEM or these ones.

To put things in more readable perspective:

Code:
FRS BRZ TRD Chuhatsu
131 153 257 129 Front Spring (lbs/in)
211 195 291 206 Rear Spring (lbs/in)
    560 540     Front Compression
   1690 1250    Front Rebound
    735 400     Rear Compression
   1620 1120    Rear Rebound
The stock TRD springs are RIDICULOUSLY higher rates to end up lifting the car despite being shorter springs overall, but the problem as noted by one of the folks that installed the TRD kit was the springs are too short for full suspension travel. These springs are longer which avoids that concern.

Honestly laying out all the numbers like this makes me more excited, this may well turn my BRZ into a true 'grand cruiser' with the spring rates closer to the FRS but avoiding the 'riding on the bump stops' problem the twins sometimes experience, and with softer absorbers this should be very comfy.

This is coming from bicycles I admit, but less compression and rebound generally means a softer ride on harsh roads, both at the expense of some grip in various situations as the wheels don't hug as tightly. Since I'm running a wheel/tire combination 10 pounds/20% lighter than stock (205/55R16) I don't need the suspension to work as hard to hug the road.
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfWings For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-26-2020)