View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #36
Zentec

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Among other things, 12.5:1 is why I gave it points for being slightly exotic. 7400 RPM is a snoozefest. No not a snooze fest yes I would be so much happier @8or 9k personally I think it could handle it but don't know how reliable it will be that probably why they didn't take it there. On the other hand we're pretty close to the bore and stroke of the s2k.

I'm lost here. How does high rpm and high temp create load? What kind of load? high engine speed aka rpm and keeping it there on a track this is a mechanical load.

Your point about increasing the weight of the oil for towing a trailer is wrong. I never said towing in the quote above.

No offense intended. The engine is capable producing a fixed maximum force against the rod journals and distribute it along the mains. Hooking up a trailer or whatever doesn't change that. I would never hook up a trailer to an 86 as it says in the OM do not tow with this car Page 205.

Increasing the operating temperature of the engine or the oil, for whatever reason, is the only valid reason for fiddling with viscosity... ok, that and compensating for slutty journals, but that's it.
No!! 20 weight fuel effency for daily driving. Going to a 30 weight you lose about 1-3% mpg but gain protection. For me protection is better than a couple mpg.

Unless you're talking about an engine designed specifically to shed heat through the oil, (think Suzuki GSX series engines) an oil cooler is there to preserve the engine by preserving the oil. Not so for cars. The point as I stated of an oil cooler is to keep the oil from getting to hot by keeping the oil at desired temps. You can install the thermal plate that will start cooling the oil at a certain point. As I said the point of this is so your oil dose not get to hot that it starts to thin out and you lose protection. The plus is when you maintain your oil temp your oil pressure stabilizes as well which keeps you protected. You should have your oil temp and engine coolent temp fairly close. The main point is not to prolong oil life but it can do so as it dose not over heat the oil.

Just like cooking oil, engine oil literally goes rancid with exposure to oxygen. The higher the temp, the quicker the oxidation. wrong and partially true. Regular oil is like this although the tempature is a bigger factor. But fully synthetic oils that we use in our cars. Synthetic motor oils have a higher tolerance to heat and aging. The performance characteristics of these synthetic lubricants can be custom-designed to exceed the performance limits of petroleum-based motor oils _ and their use can possibly increase the life of your engine. If you over heat your cooking oil it loses its lubercation and thins out same as a car. Now if you go further and heat it to its flash point boom flames now stuff gets black. If you exceed the temp for the weight of the oil in a car you loose oil pressure and protection if you exceed the temp for syn oil your going to have a ton of problems lol.

Keep it cool and it lasts longer.

Well yes and no. Remeber if you stabilize temp and pressure of engine oil you will increase life of your engine. To stablelize temp you need a oil cooler by not exceeding the oil temp for the weight you will stabilize oil pressure. This will improve oil life and engine life. Plain and simple the only reason our books say 0w20 is for max cover of cold climates and for fuel economy!!
Zentec is offline   Reply With Quote