View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 03:57 AM   #2
KCMachine

Drives: 92 NSX
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How will the weight difference affect my car?

Weight reduction helps all aspects of a car's performance, acceleration, braking, handling and even gas mileage are all positively affected by reducing a car's weight. Keep in mind that weight reduction is a sum of the parts, so the more you reduce the weight, the more you can feel it. For cars, lighter is better.

What if I want to install an after market sound system?

A car battery is used mainly to start the car. Once the car has been started, it is the alternator that runs the electrical system, so overall there is no negative effect to installing an aftermarket sound system as long as you are listening to it mainly when the car is running.

What constitutes proper care for either battery?

ANY battery will suffer performance degradation if you over discharge them. Just make sure that they are properly charged.

Which has better Cold Cranking Amps?

The Die Hard would have better CCAs, but keep in mind that the Shorai LFX36 batteries have more CCAs than the FRS/BRZ stock battery.

Which can last longer without being driven/trickle charged?

The Die Hard will last longer without being driven or charged. The Shorai is safe up to 1 week of not being driven. After that, it is recommended to put it on a tender, or to drive the car. I have found the capacity sufficient enough to let my NSX sit for over 10 days, but it also has a very low electrical draw at rest.

How long will these batteries last on the stock sound system with the engine off?

I have no data for this. Keep in mind though that the Shorai LFX36 batteries are not actually 36 amp hours, their capacity is about 15 amp hours which is also equivalent to the popular Odyssey PC680. So it is roughly 1/3 of the actual capacity of the stock battery.

Which has the longer lifespan and why?

Unfortunately the Shorai batteries are new enough that they don't have extreme long term data. I have seen people using them for 3 years with no problems. I have had mine in my car for a year now with no degradation in performance, although that should be expected. Lead acid batteries tend to last about 3-5 years.
KCMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KCMachine For This Useful Post:
B L U E S L A T E (01-18-2014), slizoth (01-18-2014), UNREAL (01-23-2016)