Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I work in the ER. I see the downside of human drivers every day. We are fallible, even on our best days when we have all our attention on road. People have seizures, a stroke, a heart attack, a spider crawls on them, the sun blinds their vision for a moment, they fall asleep, they drive while under the influence, they’re distracted from any number of things, they’re old, disabled, unable to check their blind spot, too hearing impaired to hear the ambulance, to blind to see well at night or at all, etc. I would prefer to have the masses that aren’t interested in being engaged with driving to have a machine to do the driving for them. I’ll deal with my insurance and let the insurance company pursue the faulty car/driver, if they do.

Not if self-driving cars reduce the incidence even more significantly, which it will undoubtedly do. I wouldn’t be surprised if driving was eventually illegal someday on public roads. Live it up while you can; the world will change faster than we think.

It isn’t about stress. It is about access to resources. If you have ever been stuck on the side of the road without cellular reception and far from civilization then you wish you were home with a phone, your toolbox and a second means of getting around.
All of those things can happen to a vehicle that is complex enough to drive itself in the manner you are referring to. Have you considered why humans are so fallible? It's because we are the most complex machines on this planet. Machines that are reliable are quite simple by comparison.

For the lulz, allow me to present this scenario. If an occupant has a medical emergency in a tesla on autopilot, wouldn't the car just keep going? Any other car would come to a stop in some fashion, which would call attention to it and allow medical personnel access. How would you treat somebody in a moving car?

No, I have not been stranded on the side of the road with no cell service. Then again, I don't know of any location within 15 miles of a parking garage where there isn't any cell service or at least somewhere you can use a phone to call for help. How about you?
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote