Old 09-30-2020, 01:21 AM   #164
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Yes, absolutely people make just as many if not more mistakes. The difference is that people can be held accountable. If you have a vehicle that is as autonomous as a person (which Teslas are not), it will make roughly the same amount of mistakes. Those will most likely be different mistakes. The optimal goal, which I have no opposition to if it gives me a choice as to whether to buy/use it, is to provide a way where machines can do what they do best and people do what they do best. I personally prefer to have total control of machines that can kill me and others but that's just me.

Additionally, what you are describing in the scenario increases the amount of miles driven significantly, therefore is likely to increase the number of incidents.

I would rather be present in person to make decisions rather than have my $60k property sitting somewhere doing something I don't know about. There indeed are a lot of people who prefer to avoid the stress of responsibility. I guess I just like stress...

It's like when your niece was scammed by that car dealer. You could have told her what to do and let it be. But no, you went in person to handle it.
I work in the ER. I see the downside of human drivers every day. We are fallible, even on our best days when we have all our attention on road. People have seizures, a stroke, a heart attack, a spider crawls on them, the sun blinds their vision for a moment, they fall asleep, they drive while under the influence, they’re distracted from any number of things, they’re old, disabled, unable to check their blind spot, too hearing impaired to hear the ambulance, to blind to see well at night or at all, etc. I would prefer to have the masses that aren’t interested in being engaged with driving to have a machine to do the driving for them. I’ll deal with my insurance and let the insurance company pursue the faulty car/driver, if they do.

Not if self-driving cars reduce the incidence even more significantly, which it will undoubtedly do. I wouldn’t be surprised if driving was eventually illegal someday on public roads. Live it up while you can; the world will change faster than we think.

It isn’t about stress. It is about access to resources. If you have ever been stuck on the side of the road without cellular reception and far from civilization then you wish you were home with a phone, your toolbox and a second means of getting around.