View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 11:42 PM   #15
gahooligan

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I installed this shifter along with IRS, Diff and trans mount bushing inserts. I also added the mtec springs.

Holy Mary Mother of God!!!! Sounds like the car is rattling apart!

So, being the normal problem-solving OCD mechanic I am there was no way I was listening to that rattle!

The bushings are not the source of the noise, so don't go there and the mtec springs are worth every penny.

It seems we all may or may not be talking about three different rattling noises. I have all three.

1) Noise one is road noise, trans noise (OMG it sounds like rocks) engine/exhaust noise and vibration. Remember the shifter is now mounted directly to the body, which now acts as a giant speaker resonating with the vibrations and trans noise, we also lost sound deadening under the console when we removed the stock lower rubber shift boot and foam pad. To solve these the CF/foam mount posted above is a good start. Anything to isolate the mount plate from the chassis will help. That thin rubber is useless. keep in mind though the softer the base material, the less solid the shifter is mounted. I used their gasket and washers but went back and cut up pieces of a camping pad and laid them inside the console around the shifter covering each direction as far as I could go, in multiple layers, up to just under the console underside. I ran them all the way against the shifter. I didn't pack them in as compressing the foam is just going to aid in transmitting the vibrations.

2) noise two is I believe exactly what some are complaining about (it is now apparent after solving the other noises) It is a distinctly thinner metallic rattle that does indeed sound like the shaft rattling inside the shifter. Haven't solved that one yet and only happens above 4500-5K. Upper revs is when I get that noise. I'll let you know if I solve it.

3) OMG, worst rattle of all. Sound deadening material masked it somewhat but no way, it was still there. It's a rattle. Heavier than the shaft inside the handle rattle. I have an UEL and I had the rattle about 3500k and above 4500 on up. But pretty much rattled constantly if you got on it. I have an UEL Header so my vibrations may be worse than others. I have a nice resonance vide at about 4100-4300 that vibrates the car pretty good (that a different topic). Back to the heavy and loud rattle... I could not find anything from the inside on the shifter that rattled like that. I even went so far as to get a back massager and hold it against the shift on high (lol, yes I did) but could NOT reproduce this rattle. Revving the engine in neutral (loud exhaust, UEL) would produce the rattle for 1/2 second at about 5k. Jacked up the car for a look underneath. Thought it might be the clip and washer when the shifter hooks to the trans gear selector shaft. Nope, tight as a drum! So, I kept looking. Following the shaft from shifter to transmission, I stumbled upon the problem. There is another joint in the shaft with a connection as found at the shifter. The transmission side fitting of this joint is secured to the front shaft with flattened face on the shaft and a pin. Over this pin, to keep it from falling out I assume, Is a metal ring, installed over the pin and it appears the be flattened to mathe the flat face of the rod and seems to be crimped at the ends. It's like a cup... except it doesn't fit quite right... or wasn't crimped tight enough... and it RATTLES LIKE A BITCH! If you have a rattle, climb under the car and see if you can find what I am talking about (no I didn't take pictures) If you have fat arms and hands you will probably need to lower the trans. I'm skinny an it was still a pain to reach and work with. I am on solution 2. I basically looped an o-ring around the shaft in front of the cup (trans side) and cinched it down (make a U around the shaft with the o ring and stick one end through the other) then I stretched the o ring over the cup and around the pin/washer/clip that secures the joint (you'll see what I am talking about when you look at it). Basically something to put pressure on the cup to keep it from rattling. Version one, lost the oring in about 50 miles but while in place. NOISE WAS REDUCED 85%!!!! Rattle GONE except rattle #2 above. Totally livable and much closer to stock! As soon as it was gone the rattling resumed and I knew I had lost it. This time around I did the same but also secured it in place (around selector shaft and up and around cup) with Gorilla duct tape. Scientific I know, right? It seems that this should actually stay in place. That tape is some good shit! I will keep you posted.

Lesson for the day: If I ever drop the trans, I AM FIXING THAT DAMN CUP!! It will take an act of Congress to make that thing rattle after I get done with it!

None of my mods interfered with the operation of the shifter in any way.

I hope this helps someone, or at least entertains you!

Now let's fix that damn shaft rattle in the handle itself!

PS - I love the shifter! Never gonna miss third again that's for sure! or guess if I am centered when downshifting. Bushings were an excellent cheap upgrade as well! Some of the best money spent yet. It definitely has more of a "direct drive" feeling and lost all the sway from the rear!

Matt in GA

Last edited by gahooligan; 01-03-2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: spelling / grammar
gahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote