Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #65
WorldRallyB
Performance Ricer

Drives: 19 WRX, 19 ND2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
All they showed in this video were lap times. If you look at the mx5 vs BRZ video they did a while back, you'll see that the mx5 is faster from 0-60, faster down the 1/4, faster from 60-0 braking, faster around the figure 8, and pulls a higher lateral accleration g figure, and it also pulled a faster lap time... just to let ya know, since we're talking about "measurable differences".
Well, to be fair that was the soft top variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I honestly think that's it's because of the extra weight. 120lbs is a 5% increase. The MX5's best weapon is the lack of weight. Add more weight to it, and it has a big impact on the overall performance. The standard mx5 they did posted a 1:29.9 at the same track, while the previous BRZ posted a 1:31.3.

Granted, the tests were done on different days, but the new 86 did better by 1 second, and the RF did worse by 1 second, to meet in the middle.
I agree, which is why this head-2-head is comparing apples to oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
The article was a comparison of two cars, not a subjective review of one. Comparisons are done based on measured values. The term 'feel' is subjective, though ultimately being the result of SOMETHING measurable that could be used in the comparison. The article failed by presenting the 86 as a winner when comparing measured criteria, but losing ultimately to a nondescript term. If the RF beats the 86 due to feel, then explain what actually caused that difference. Is it stock alignment numbers? Tire choice? Weight? Slalom speed? Steering ratio? It isn't rocket science to quantify the reason something wins, but it IS poor journalism (especially for a car magazine) to not be able to explain it. I'd expect a review like this from The New Yorker, not a magazine trying to sell itself based on automotive experience.
I agree with this as well. As TylerLieberman already pointed out we already looked at a comparison between the soft top and the FRS/86. I think it would have been more benefitial to do a Head 2 Head 2 Head 2 Head of sorts like their 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio video. These cars are different enough now that you could easily compare a MX-5 vs MX-5 RF vs 86 vs BRZ
That would at minimum show the general public that the 86 doesn't solely represent all the twins have to offer. While it would be hard to argue the 86 is better in any way compared to the BRZ, it would be interesting to hear what they thought going from one to another. I'd even wager Randy could shave off a full second with the BRZ as the result of its new spoiler, STI lip kit and PP.

Oh well.. I wont complain too much, nice to hear journalists not bashing the twins for once
WorldRallyB is offline   Reply With Quote