View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #85
H_K

Drives: '13 Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
I’ve spent 40 yrs commuting into Montreal. That place is bad for your wheels, Suspension & your car ownership sanity as a whole! Next step up from there would be a rally…

I avoid it with my BRZ stock drop & wheels (I scrape with my stock GD3)!

Managed to flatten some 15” steelies & warp mags on previous vehicles and sometimes doing unwanted stunts that should have required a pilot’s licence… you don’t always have the option to avoid the craters.
If you to do some track I would advise a second Wheel set just for that with the Tire /Wheel combo you want/need/afford. Bigger wheel & tire size is more weight a disadvantage on a track but nice to look at…

I will let the track rats advise you for best tire size for track use.

If you use your vehicle as a daily there I would recommend the meatiest sidewall if you want to keep your wheels a few years.

Nice action pick at Sanair, Is that place still open it was bad back in the 90’s?
How meaty of a sidewall would you recommend on 17x8's?

Having a dedicated set of track tires would be ideal, but since I've only ever gone to the track once and only have the intention of going for more (with no concrete plans yet), I'd be afraid I'm not getting my money's worth out of them.

I've been on the stock wheels for about 4 years now in Montreal with no real issues. They still somehow look great after barrelling through all the craters I've been unable to avoid. I have a second set of wheels already for winters and they've been holding up pretty well. They're the same size/tire setup as stock.

Sanair is alright - it's a layout that takes you through different driving surfaces, it's bumpy, and there's a sketchy point where you turn into the drag strip and need to avoid a concrete barrier in the middle while coming out of the turn that separates the two lanes of the drag strip. It was great to learn at for my first track day for sure. However I'd like to try doing a more traditional track like at iCar Mirabel or Calabogie out near Ottawa.

But you get what you pay for - Sanair is cheap and you just go and figure it out for yourself whereas at iCar and Calabogie it seems they force the lessons and instructors on you and make you do it properly. At a premium price at that. Sanair track days are at about $100 for a full day.

I managed to get a more experienced guy in my car for my first session and he showed me where to look and when to start turning/accelerating. The track also had some markers painted on the road to show the optimal line through the turns as well.
H_K is offline   Reply With Quote