Old 03-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #1377
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
They are of the era of when just changing an intake, downpipe and exhaust would get the huge gains people in modern times can only fantasize about. 400 HP was cheap and easy.

At the end of its production cycle it featured in a Best Performance Car showdown in one of the US mags and finished mid pack slightly behind the new C5 Vette (Porsche took the overall) . Put down a .94g (or .97g, I remember .97 but that seems high) skidpad and was only beat by the 911 in braking. And remember that it was basically nerfed in the power department by the 'gentleman' agreement for Japanese car companies' power output.

It was a serious car. If anything F&F was detrimental to its image by implying it was just a straight line rice rocket, and having people try to live that dream. Drag racing is probably it's weakness as they don't hook that well, and the jokes about them.is that they'd only race from a roll (but could kill fast bikes when modded well). The drag emphasis and clique-y nature of owners killed its real total performance potential by chasing retarded dyno numbers with unstreet-able giant turbos, rather than responsive engine builds and working on its incredible handling potential, as all the forum 'experts' were for power, no gurus like Racecomp to educate the owners in the nuances of handling performance.

Le sigh...
Excellent info. The only thing I question is the gentleman's agreement. My understanding is that the cars still made their 320hp (and the other Japanese monsters did the same), but the spec sheets all listed power as *wink wink nudge nudge* "280hp" (Doctor Evil quotes). Can anyone confirm (just for educational purposes)?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
RRnold (03-20-2017)