Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I don't know if this is proof. The C8 has a lot of new stuff, but the development costs and manufacturing costs could be fairly low compared to Toyota designing an all new turbo straight six engine, which is the bottleneck. Who knows, maybe Toyota could have added two cylinders to one of their 2.0Ts and costs wouldn't have exploded, and maybe they could have found a chassis to make it work to make the car on an existing line, so production costs wouldn't have skyrocketed too. Chevy definitely burnt some money with this new generation, but it was still a redesign.
Toyota did not have to design a new engine for the Supra. They have plenty of engines that would have fit the bill in the Lexus line. "It is not a Supra without a inline 6 cylinder and a turbo" Yeah, that was what the purist said and what Toyota seems to have believed. Now the automotive world is asking the question, "Is a car that has a BMW drivetrain and all BMW suspension, control and bits still a Supra?"

Well, the Corvette purist said, "The Corvette is a front engine car!" Chevrolet said, "Not any more it isn't. Now, it is a mid-engine, affordable super car challenger!" The plant manager from Bowling Green stated that they started planning and investing to the tune of 755 million USD. to retool to build this car 5 years ago and will soon double their shifts to build it. That is a substantial investment.

Both Toyota and General Motors made a hard choice when they introduced their new models of their most iconic sportscars. Based on what I am reading from virtually every automotive site, I think the automotive world believes that GM made the better choice.
Dadhawk (07-21-2019), Irace86.2.0 (07-20-2019), WolfpackS2k (07-24-2019), xdavidx (07-22-2019)