Old 04-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
Vesartis

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by showrun View Post
Hello folks,

Bought a bone-stock 2015 FR-S a couple weeks ago as dedicated HPDE car. I drive the car to/from racetracks, and that's it. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so rain is always a possibility.

I have done JR radiator/oil cooler, Castrol SRF, Carbotech XP10.

I'm a low intermediate driver in terms of skills. I did a lot of HPDEs several years back in a C6 Corvette. I just did my 1st HPDE in the FR-S. The stock tires are limiting. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I feel even my limited skills could use a better tire.

I've googgled. Watched videos on TireRack. Read GRM.
I've read a bunch of older threads. Things change every year.
I'd like to discuss tire options for 2019. I'm leaning towards keeping the stock wheels, but open to going to a wider 17" wheel if it won't hinder my learning. Cost is not really a factor.

So far I'm looking at:
DUNLOP DIREZZA ZII STAR SPEC (there is some old stock left)
DUNLOP DIREZZA ZIII
HANKOOK VENTUS R-S4
YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R

Thoughts?
I just finished off a set of Falken Azenis RT615k+ in stock size (215/45R17) on stock wheels. I started on the stock Michelins, and when those were done I finished off some slightly used RS-3s and then got the Falkens for track use and the Continental Extreme Contact Sports for daily driving.

The Falkens keep the direct steering feel of the stock tires, while bringing up the grip levels significantly. They handle the heat pretty well, as long as pressures are set well (around 31-32 psi hot for me). They break away very progressively, so you can comfortably explore the limits. They don't ride any firmer than stock, and don't have any crazy pattern noise issues like some other tires. Since they aren't directional, just asymmetrical, you can rotate them around the car to even out wear. I found them very nice for learning, and got 5 track days and an autocross out of them. (Some 100+F days with slightly high pressures accelerated wear a bit more than expected) I highly recommend them for learning, just maybe not the most competitive tire.

Of the options you mentioned, I see a lot of RS-4s at the track. From what I hear, good grip and good wear rate, so overall good value. I might try them down the road.
Vesartis is offline   Reply With Quote