Drives: Scion FRS 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car: Scion FRS 2013 - M/T
Mileage: ~99,300 miles
Prior Issues: None
Mods: Intake, Lowering Springs and Exhaust

Hi,

I recently sent my Scion FRS 2013 to do the recall last week 7/08/20. They called me yesterday stating there's metal shavings in my oil and I am somewhat skeptical about this because I recently got my oil change done and they didn't mention anything about metal shavings in my oil. They also mention they will need to do an engine tear down in order to see what's the problem. This tear down is similar cost to what I've seen on the forum $2000. I called Toyota back and they said since I opted out on the engine tear down this will also void the recall warranty due to pre-existing conditions "metal shavings in oil" Keep in mind, before the call I stated to the Rep that I've read there are numerous issues after the recall. They then specified again that since I opted out of the engine inspection/tear down I will not be covered...

Sounds like they're using this "pre-existing condition" as way of covering themselves in the future, if the engine fails...

Common thing I've noticed with some reads are:
1. Take care for recall
2. Toyota calls them and wants them to pay $$ for engine tear down
3. Toyota states engine needs work so more $$ needs
4. Eventually they need to replace the engine $9,000 total cost

What do you guys recommend I should do?

Last edited by glvz; 07-17-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: No Modifications but bolt-ons and Question
glvz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glvz For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-17-2020)