View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #34
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
I agree 100%. But looking for the Schroth harness just to keep me on my seat. I am not looking at it as a safety measure on its own (because it's dangerous) and know it doesn't work with a neck restraint.

I'd rely on the OEM belts with the Hybrid S restraint for safety. So in other words, I'd have the harness and OEM belt on at the same time. I might even wear two socks (1/foot).

Unless you are saying that Schroth (that is not for HANS) might interfere with the Hybrid S from doing it's HANS thing? And only gets its HANs groove on either with 3pt seat belt or proper harness/roll bar etc. Like it loses it powers when seeing the 3pt Schroth harness?
I believe the difference have to be in the ASM design. Stock reclining seats are designed to fold backwards and stock 3-point belts allow your body to rotate and move during an incident.

Quote:
Schroth's solution is ingeniously simple and has proven effective in testing and the real world: ASM is an extra few inches of belt that is folded along the inside shoulder belt and hidden under a plastic cover. In a frontal accident the extra belt length is released and allows one side of your body to fall further forward than the other side. This causes your torso to twist, which prevents you from sliding under the lap belt. The ASM is on the right shoulder for a driver and the left shoulder for a passenger (in a LHD vehicle). This also has the benefit of forcing each occupant away from each other. ASM is a standard feature in all Rallye 3/4 and Quick Fit harnesses, as well as on the special Profi II ASM belt. The system is redundant in a Competition harness since those are designed with a sub-strap.
tl;dr - tension released on the belts across your shoulders will yield a HANS useless (even the Hybrid S since the upper body is completely moving). I even learned something today
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
iLuveKetchup (07-23-2020)