Old 10-02-2021, 12:42 AM   #22
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Has anyone here actually installed runflats on your 86 or BRZ and have experience with them on this platform?

Pros?

Cons?

How do the stiffer sidewalls handle rough roads and potholes?

Recommended brand and model?

I use my BRZ as a daily and long distance driver across the hurricane zone along the Gulf Coast. After every hurricane I end up with flats because of all the nails and screws littered in the road when people start hauling away demolition debris.

It's inconvenient to have to stop many miles from home to get a tire patched, but it's worse when they say, "Oh, that's too close to the sidewall, but I could get you a new tire here in three days." Looking for alternative solutions.
I currently have Michelin PS4 ZP (Zero Pressure) run flats on stock wheels on my BRZ.

Pro: I don't worry about getting a flat. I also have AAA and the space saver in the trunk, so I really don't worry about flats.

Cons:

How do the stiffer sidewalls handle rough roads and potholes? The ride might have gotten slightly harsher, but the oem shocks/struts already seemed harsh on the generally shitty MI roads.

I did not purposely seek out the ZP variant of the PS4. Costco had a Michelin sale and the lowest price compatible tire option happened to be 225/45r17 PS4 ZP's, but the way they were listed on the computer it was not apparent they were the ZP until after the receipt printed. Even then, I did not know what the ZP designation meant until I got home and googled it. I almost canceled the order based on the reviews, but the cost savings was enough I decided to just go with it.

I have no complaints. I also have no complaints about putting a 225 on the stock rim, which is supposed to make turn-in a bit squishy. I don't have any great driving roads around me, but I have a couple okay driving roads and the steering feel with my current tires is infinitely better than the no name budget tires the previous owner had on my car.

I'll be the first to admit, my driving situation in no way requires a "high end", 200tw, summer performance tire, but I would have paid significantly more for less tire at the time, so I have what I have.

I'm just speculating here, but also I kinda think the hard, run flat sidewall is actually offsetting the squish of the extra width, so instead of having two negatives, my "non-ideal" setup balanced out. It's also very possible I don't push my car hard enough to find a problem with the setup.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (10-03-2021), Ohio Enthusiast (10-02-2021), Pointmutation (05-06-2023), soundman98 (10-02-2021), x808drifter (10-02-2021)