View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 01:40 AM   #124
wil5bart

Drives: '16 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86league View Post
Got one of the knock-off hinged arm rests from amazon a while back. After I got it, I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my console, and it really wasn't high enough for me.

I ended up making 3D printed spacer that the arm rest screws into, and then the spacer fits into the console and is held in place by a couple of "tabs" front and back and some guides on the sides. It adds about 1" to the overall height and I'm fairly happy with it at this point. Big pluses to me are that it just lifts out, so if I want to take it out for track events I can, and now I don't feel like I have to lean to the passenger side to get my arm down on the arm rest.

Previous iterations I tried just using double sided tape to stick it to the console and didn't have the locating tabs/guides. I always ended up banging into it when I'm trying to load stuff into the back seat, or even bumping it getting in and I would knock the tape loose.

The back locating tab is sized so that the cupholders are still useable.

Printed in ABS and had some issues with it wanting to peel off the print bed. You may notice some slots along the length. That was an attempt to give the ABS somewhere to relieve the thermal contraction vs. pulling off the print bed. It seemed to help, but didn't 100% eliminate it.

Had to print in 2 pieces because of the size. Have a "tab" that slides into the other part and then they are screwed together from the top.

It could be improved I'm sure, the compound curvature of the console and the armrest made this task a little beyond my CAD skills. The model is kind of a house of cards. I tried to make it parametric so you could change the height of the spacer, but seems like changing the height now breaks a lot of stuff and you have to manually edit things to fix them every time the height is changed.

Here's the CAD:

And the finished product mounted to the arm-rest.

This pic makes the "leather" look way darker than the seats, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near that noticeable just looking at it. Hey, for $40 vs the $160 for the OEM, good enough for me.

Looks great. I dig the color!
wil5bart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wil5bart For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-01-2021)