View Single Post
Old 12-21-2023, 10:37 AM   #9
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
According to Road and Track, it's the same springs we have in our cars now.

This is interesting. You think they could at least toss a fancy looking spring on the car that's a different color, ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Based on your comments regarding the brakes, it's not a big deal either. It seems you could make significantly better improvements with aftermarket parts.
To go further on the brakes, I never felt the pedal feel was a problem on the twins. Now my 2004 WRX and other Subarus - yes, for sure. It's soft and spongy feeling. Adding a master cylinder brace helped and of course different pads, but it's still a longshot from the OEM Brembos on my BRZ.

I've driven a few first gen twins at autocross setup in the STX and SSC (modified) classes. All had upgraded brake pads. I never felt the brakes feeling like my other Subarus did being soft and spongy.

I'm not 100% certain, but the 2nd gens I've driven I'm pretty sure all had upgraded pads at least. Again, those did not feel soft/spongy at all.

Point is, I think a lot of the feel comes down to the pad compound you choose. Even on the Brembos, the stock (Jurid) pads are more like an on/off switch vs the Ferodo DS2500 pads I have now that are way more progressive feeling.

I like the fancy look of the Brembos, but you could achieve the same feel for the street and lighter track days with pads and a master cylinder brace. Even if you really wanted to go hardcore, you get get aftermarket fixed calipers like the AP Racing sprint kit for less than the tS trim level is going to cost you.
Desertnate (12-21-2023)