View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
so let me get this straight....gas burning motorcycle guidelines are useless as a comparison....but turbo DIESEL comparisons are valid?

I'm gonna go with....no,

Stress relieving parts is a process done in production and results in the inherant stresses developed in the part due to machining and material flow during cooling among other things, when you stress relieve a part (usually done with rapid temp extremes ie go from steam bath or boiling to submerged in LN2 or visca versa) it changes dimensions, and not a little bit...if your crank was being stress relieved it wouldn't turn in the bearings anymore.

Piston rings are heat treated to a specific temper to retain their spring characteristic, if they were being stress relieved they would lose their spring (this is why over heated engines often have no ring seal, they exceeded working temp and lose their temper)

in your referenced article the author stated that pistons aren't round and become round under operating conditions.....WTF....no pistons aren't round, intentionally they have clearance to allow them to rock and still effectively seal, but any solid object will expand at a constant rate vs temp, you can't trick the piston into growing into a perfect circle at operating temperature....

the only statement i can't argue with is that break in goal #1 is effective mating of parts, and this is why high cylinder pressure is beneficial it forces the rings against the walls while there is still enough abrasive action to make a proper seal,
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote