View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks,.I already have larger radiator. The shroud makes sense for sure but dont know if you read it but having Perrin give me a track only tune to set fans on always or at 200f would be easy and simple without changing anything to test.

As far as heat IMO the oil is overcooled on the street right now. The issue is the longer track sessions. This is the difficulty in building a balanced street and track car. Track cars are much easier to do.

Not debating your oil temp statements but talking to our race shop and perrin. They all set said optimal track oil temps are 230F. I believe even Robi runs for that target ad well but he also runs e85 to keep his Innovate kit from knocking the motor to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
255F oil temp and 210 water temp. That doesn't suggest to me that your oil cooling system isn't adequate, it suggests that your water cooling setup isn't (aka: how effectively air flows through it).

240F-260F for oil is a sweet spot IMHO. Just not for 0w-20, unless your oil pressure is still at 70psi at that temp. I'm pretty sure your oil pressure was lower than you may have wanted it. Just run 30 or even 40wt to bump pressure at those temps (depending on oil pressure at that temp).

But for water temp, trying to cut down on oil temp to address water temp is really taking the indirect route IMHO, especially if you're oil temps are just fine. Tackle the water temp directly.

A) increase shrouding so the air cannot flow around the radiator and is forced through it.

B) wire a switch such that the fans are running the whole time

C) Remove A/C which will reduce the impedance of the air trying to get to your radiator.

D) Install a larger radiator/more efficient radiator.

For a street car, I'd probably look at a combination of A and D first.

Here's why I would also recommend option B:

I assume you have an A/C condenser AND an intercooler in front of your radiator. Intercooler--gap-->A/C Condenser--gap-->Radiator.

What's important to note is that there is a gap of air between each of these and your radiator. Because not all 3 things sit flush with each other (touching), as the air flows through one, it creates a large amount of turbulence in that gap and when the air meets this turbulence it looks to follow the path of the least resistance. This is is where shrouding comes into play. By removing any other path for the air to flow it's forced to overcome the turbulence and then more of it finally flows through your radiator (which is the last thing in the chain to see the air). The other thing is leaving those fans running. By having the fans on the whole time, they create a low pressure on the back side of the radiator and this will make it easier for the air flowing past your a/c and intercooler to make it into the radiator by cutting down on the turbulence that results in those gaps, well at least on the gap between the a/c condenser and the radiator.

Before you go spending more money... fab up some shrouding and keep those fans running, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

Last but not least, if your oil cooler is also mixed up on all this, then the shrouding will improve it's functionality as well.