EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgrym3 View Post
Bringing this thread back because I’m now ready to sell my ecutek. As for the usb dongle that contains my license, do I have to wipe it clean before selling, since it contains unique ID that hard coded with my car?
I think Ecutek could do a way better job with their nomenclature and instructions.

Long story short, the cable and dongle can be sold to anybody for use, no problem.

-----

If you want to understand what's what:
  • ProECU Programming Kit: Retail kit that comes in the little Ecutek pouch (physically contains a Deskey Dongle and Vehicle Interface (Cable or Bluetooth). None of the items in the Programming Kit are tied to the car itself.
  • Deskey Dongle: They little USB stick thing. It actually contains the license to grant you access to ProECU
  • Vehicle Interface: Green OBD reader with USB cable that lets you communicate with the car and load an Ecutek Performance License. Now sold in both the old-style cable and bluetooth reader.
  • ProECU: The software suite that you have on your computer to read tune ROMs and access the ECU through the Vehicle Interface Cable. However, before you can flash a ROM, your car's ECU needs to have been loaded with Ecutek Performance License
    • This is actually a digital software asset. It's not in the actual pouch, but you go online and download it
    • A note: although none of the above items are tied to your car, sometimes tuners lock their custom ROM files to your unique Dongle/ProECU ID.
  • ProECU Performance License: This is the actual piece of licensing that is tied to your car's ECU. It gives you permission to write Ecutek's software onto the car's ECU, allowing you to load your custom tunes. Normally, the performance license stays with your car and cannot be unloaded/transferred to use again.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote