Old 10-03-2022, 04:49 AM   #334
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug187 View Post
Hi guys. I live in the New York City area and need some advice about getting winter tires that I can use on the stock wheels of my 2022 BRZ from November to March. The streets I drive on get plowed pretty well and I only anticipate driving on snow / ice a few times per season at most. After looking through some forum posts I see that folks generally recommend staying away from 'all season' tires and going with a full on 'winter tire', but I'm not sure if they might live in areas with harsher winters. Should I be looking at winter tires like Blizzak or Michelin X-Ice? I can only find them in a 225/40R/18 size - and am not sure if they would be too wide for the stock wheels since the stock tires are 215/40R/18? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
If, where you live, there is rarely any snow/ice and temps most of a time are non-freezing, even more so, with very few expected drives, then all seasons might be better choice. Then again, some (me included) prefer to "err on safe side", i'm willing to give up some grip where it's plentiful (like ice/snow-less clean tarmac roads) for sake of any extra grip available, when it's scarce, as i may push less on clean roads, but never be stuck in those rare times when they were not yet after heavy snowfall.
You should know better, what average temps and road state in winter, where you live, are, and if you do (don't do) driving from time to time to more nothern-ish states (for eg. skiing resort and/or visit friends or old folks). From your description/post it seems that all seasons might be better .. i'd get good/premium vendor ones though (conti/goodyear/michelin).
Very weird to hear sizing (non)availability for you of winter tires (which usually are available at even smaller and narrower widths then summer tires). For example i'm running studded X-Ice North 4 195/60r16. Only 18? Hard to believe.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
jbug187 (10-03-2022)