DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
no, but think of it this way:

any clutch kit that is sold by itself is always limited by the factory pressure plate design. this becomes a problem when you run those fancy "heavy duty race puck" clutches... or like a Stage 3 or Stage 24 or whatever.

for lighter clutch kits this isn't a huge problem, but when you run more aggressive friction material or PP with higher clamping force, you're stuck with a clutch that's not very easy to drive as a daily.

complete kits like ORC, OS Giken, Exedy, and others (several US companies also make similar kits) are way better if you're 100% going the flywheel/clutch upgrade route at the same time. ends up about the same cost but better feel and performance.

Alex
OK I see what you're saying. Yeah the pressure plate on the exedy stage 1 does look very similar to the OEM design. Luckily it's only rated to 203 wtq so shouldn't be a huge increase in clamping force or friction material type.

From most of the guys I've spoken with who've used this kit (15805FW), they say the clutch feel is very similar to stock. So I think it should be ok. If anything, I'm more worried about a handful of guys who've reported DD issues like occasionally getting locked out of certain gears or dealing with chatter from the 12.7 lbs FW. The latter I can deal with, but the former would bother me.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote