Old 12-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #37
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I just want to know why there has been such an increase in stupidity in the last 10 years, and more so in the last 4-5. I know social media like Facebook and Twitter are a huge part but holy shit, the things I hear that people absolutely BELIEVE gives me an aneurism.
It is a combination of things:
  • Social media has a place for the special people to gather and share their ideas. The isolated and small group feels bigger and looks larger online, which gives them more conviction in their beliefs.
  • These crazy ideas then get spread and proliferate because their proponents proselytize and make videos to reinforce their beliefs. It isn’t enough that they believe; they need to educate the masses.
  • Many people lack the ability to decipher these videos. They don’t understand logic, sound reasoning or logic fallacies. Many people hear two people talking about a subject outside of their expertise passionately and couldn’t determine who is crazy and who is educated, so these beliefs propagate.
  • People don’t research. They are more apt to simply believe grandma’s wacky chain emails than fact check their family or friends. The internet is full of information and answers, but most people operate in a closed echo chamber.
Captain Snooze (12-03-2020), DAEMANO (01-02-2021), Tcoat (12-03-2020)