soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Of course they do. But the Premier brand is no longer made, which makes it that much more unlikely that anyone else will have the same setup. Nor can you even find a deck now in a double-din format that has 6.5-volt RCA outputs that this deck has along with internal crossovers and time alignment for less than $500. I don't need navigation and I've already got this head unit, why not use it?

Besides, old school is just cool.
pioneer does make the 80prs now, which covers all of that except the 6.5v preouts. in fact, i can't think of any deck anymore that advertises higher voltage preouts anymore... i ran a 9v preamp for a few years once when i was convinced a distortion issue was in the signal level(turned out to be an issue with the design of a companies passive crossover units related to my usage). never really got into the marketing of the higher voltage preout stuff. i get the concept of a higher signal level creating a lower noise floor, but the reality is if you're getting a whine at 1v preout's, you're going to get the same whine at 6.5v...

i tried a $300 pioneer touchscreen for a little while. it was such a hit someone made off with it after 3 months! but no one touches single din radios. despite the fact that some of them are less replaceable and sometimes more expensive than the touchscreen models.

with the advent of cheap DSP's, i'm finding myself migrating away from deck-based tuning, and moving more towards the more specific options available in things like the dsp-408. i overkilled my truck install putting one in, and now regret that i didn't put on in on the car install. my favorite part is the individual output parametric eq settings. no deck can come close.
why? (08-12-2020)