Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
I have gone by the other definition of just "slippery slope" rather than "slippery slope fallacy".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

I do see your point. I was going by the other defnitition involving incremental steps towards something.

No worries here man. I guess could just say "normalizing bad behavior can lead to more bad behavior."
That is the fallacy. Associating different activities as bad behavior and saying you cannot allow one because it would allow the other is not sound logic.

Some people might say the cat jumping on the lap is bad behavior, in which case I would disagree with that particular statement. But I don't disagree with trying to prevent "bad behavior", or that jumping on counters is bad behavior. So the slippery slope fallacy says if you allow one, the other is inevitable. It avoids discussion of why a cat jumping in a lap is bad behavior by instead broadening the scope and increasing the abstraction of the discussion.

In my experience, groups of people come to conclusions much more efficiently when they precisely define the scope of the issues, and much less efficiently when they cannot do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-05-2021)