View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #85
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alright, so here's the scoop. I got sick of waiting a week+ in between emails with Spence at Weir Performance, so I went about finding an alternative gear solution. Based on some stuff I was reading, I decided to buy a set of Motive Gears for a V6 toyota (People were saying that pretty much any 8" ring/pinion for a toyota would fit). I went with the V6 over the 4 cylinder version because it had the correct tap size for the ring gear attachment bolts. Here is the link if anyone else wants to go that route.:

http://www.jawsgear.com/Ring_And_Pin...s-Toyota-8-V6/

That being said, after a quick comparison, it is quite clear that the Weir Performance pinion gear has MUCH thicker teeth than the Motive Gears. Probably on the order of 20%+ if I had to put a number to it. So if you want to go higher power than stock, I think that is probably the safest route. For a stock-ish FRS, I'm guessing the motive gears will work just fine.

I put the OEM differential back in yesterday so I could choose not to rush this rebuild (the car feels hella slow now). I bought a 12 ton press from harbor freight, which made the process go so much faster. If you don't want to buy a press, there is a trick for quick setup. What you do is you take an old/scrap pinion bearing and sand down the ID so it can be easier to put on/take off. Use this bearing for setup and then once setup is done, use the new bearing to get final position and for install.

Here is the progression of pattern I saw as I went through setting up the gears. Measured the backlash to be .011 (.007-.009 being preferred), so I will be buying new shims along with new seals (noticed some diff oil on the under side of the car upon removing the 4.56 diff last).

First Setup:

Second Setup:

Final Setup:

(180deg from first image)

After correcting backlash, I'll recheck mesh again before install. Relatively happy with where it sits right now.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (10-06-2014)