Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
MR2 stopped production before the Supra, thus my statement still stands, the last real sports car they made.

The MR2 Turbo was yet another incredible car Toyota made in it's golden era of the 90's. Those days are still gone unfortunately. The MR-S wasn't that special, nor was it a looker. It wasn't carried over as the MR-2 name because even Toyota knew it wasn't worthy of the title. I had a 2000 Celica GT-S. Fun to rev and the VVTL-i was cool, but once again, despite it being light, with a high-revving NA motor, it too lacked oomph getting out of the turns and on straights. Stepping into my Evo was like entering a whole new world. I'm still waiting on a real sports car from Toyota, but I don't think they have the magic left in them to do a proper MKV Supra.

It's like people are going hook, line, and sinker on the marketing stuff. The way some parrot it, it's like they're on the payroll. Look at the GT-R once again, where it's designer said it needed to be in that ballpark of weight to add to the handling, and it's numbers speak for itself. Reading here, you'd think the GT-R would corner like the Renault Robin, or a Yuke.
the mr-s was also called the mr2. if you want to split hairs about that fine but the fact remains that the mr-s was a sports car. it was also in line with the original mr2 than the sw20 was.

do you honestly think they intended to add weight to improve handling of the gtr? weight was a negative effect of adding things that had a positive effect like awd and dct. weight is bad period.

saying they wanted to add weight to improve handling is like saying people wear condoms to improve sex.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote