soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
I'm seeing $23k for what they call Short Engine Step 1,Short Engine Step 2 $33k,and Complete Engine Step 3 for $42,600.https://www.hksusa.com/news/hks-comp...-rb26-and-fa20

The point isn't the accuracy of the prices,but the BS that the OP is selling us(seems like a lot of us aren't buying it either).So we are to believe that he's going to put in a motor that costs more than the car itself?! .

He bought the car and didn't know there was a recall on the valve springs?! Really?! So he went out and payed for a car,and has grandiose plans to drop in an engine that's worth more than the car,yet doesn't know anything about the problems that the car actually is known for?!
not that far fetched. i've only ever checked for recalls once. that was on the brz, when the spring recall stuff started hitting the fan, and people's motors were sucking up sealant. i just wanted to know if it applied to my car, and if i could still register without doing the recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
The more layers you peel back,the more this story stinks.Not trying to be an asshole,but I have to call it like I see it.If you assume that he bought the car for $15k(just to throw out a number),then he's going to drop a $22k motor into it(and that's the cheaper of the three),with financing from the bank(because if he's talking about "when the car is payed off",then there's no way that he's not going to outright pay for the motor),then he's going to be at the very least $45k into it,right? Oh,and in what world does a FA20 motor cost $17k?! C'mon,man! I just did a quick search and found them for well under $3k.

I know plenty of people have made worse decisions with their money,but there's nothing about any of this that makes any sense.
i can't find subaru's part number for a motor, or new cost, but it seems some reddit threads speculate that a replacement motor+install would be $6-9k. so $17k for a brand new motor and dealer install sounds feasible...

and yes, a used motor could be had for $3k, but going to a dealer for service, they're likely going to use new parts wherever possible...

just sayin... there could be some truth to the story, but there's never a happy ending in a witch hunt.
FRSapex (05-19-2022), NoHaveMSG (05-19-2022)