Old 04-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #866
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
@86TOYO2k17 Thanks for the suggestions. As for the wheels, for a time I considered going the 16" higher profile tire route but decided to stick with 17 x 8s with moderately sticky (Conti Ext Cont Sport) 225/45 tires.

My real interest now is on the suspension. I'm not interested in running the car to track limits, either on a track on on the road. So lowering it is not on my agenda. I'd like to keep the stock ride height and increase the precision of the wheel control without sacrificing comfort. The car is not bad at all now, but in some bumpy corners it will crow hop.

Power is down a bit on my to do list. I was interested in g'snapper's experience because I think his vision for his car is as close to mine as I've seen. FI is a possibility, but not hugely probable. Same for lowering the FD ratio. I live on the TX/Mex border and it's a long way to anywhere. Most of the speed limits in between are "generous." On top of that the median speed on highways posted at 75 mph is usually closer to 85. Probably not going to spin the engine any tighter than I do now.

Weight is similar. I've considered a rear seat delete, but if I did so, I'd pull all the carpeting and line the rear half of the car with sound deadening. One hand removes, the other adds. Thanks again.
Ok, I assumed by your inquiry that you where already at a point where you where highly considering going FI. Also keep in mind whatever FD you go with if you do, the numerical % increase will be the same % increase to RPM at any given speed. IE 4.1 to 4.56 is about 11% increase so your RPM will be 11% higher in the same gear for any given speed. that puts your RPM very high cruising at 85MPH. Stock MT/FD should be 3650rpm at 85mph, 4.56FD would be 4050rpm.

I initially went all out NA just about every possible mod, i had 17x8 225s and grip was perfect and phenomenal. but once going FI that was no longer the case, i upgrade the rears to 17x9 with 255s front is still 17x8 225s. and now i have grip again. but had to buy 2 new wheels and 4 new tires (bcs mine before where directional and i am not doing staggered+directional) when my wheels and tires before had only 5k miles kind of a wasted money not planning out beforehand but i had to make the switch.

I am using RCE yellow springs, it is only .8" drop but the ride quality, performance, responsiveness etc is phenomenal now, and ground clearance is still plenty even with front lip, side skirts, rear diffuser "lowering" my car another inch or so. Very good daily / GT option, never scrape speed bumps or anything.

I did a rear seat delete, i made my own kit, a lot of DIYs on here its pretty easy, If i remember correctly removing everything was 33lbs and then my kit put 8lbs back in so -25lbs and actually provides more sound deadening now compared to before, so win win. overall weight loss is usually advantageous regardless of where. But just something to consider and attempt to do when possible is taking off the same amount of weight in the front as rear if/when possible. Like rear seat delete + Light weight battery, lighter catback + lighter header. light weight front seats and or lightweight BBK + removing trunk junk etc.. the car is already front heavy and you do not want to make it much worse, especially on a RWD car.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-06-2020)