NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Teams have backed up the idea for sprint races before the Grand Prix. It basically means that there will be no second or third practice. Qualifying, which will now take place after first practice, will now determine your placement on the sprint race. Which is approx 100km. The top winners of the sprint would earn half the points on the Grand Prix. Respectively filling the grid in the order the sprint finished.

Conceptually, is a good, not great idea. Gives the smaller teams a chance to score points. But my biggest issue is the sprint on a course like Monaco, where it is virtually impossible to overtake. That plus vehicles breaking and having to replace parts that can mean getting a penalty.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55992727
I like the knockout format, it is exciting at tracks that do not produce good racing like Monaco. I don't see what they gain by having a sprint race determine the GP qualifying order, especially if they are awarding points. They would be widening the gap between the top teams even farther.
Spuds (02-12-2021)