View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #4255
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Here's what my build is looking like so far.

Ryzen 5600x
MSI B550-A Pro mobo
Nvidia 3060ti
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x8Gb 3600mhz)
Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo cpu cooler
Corsair CX750-M psu
Corsair 220t case

Gonna keep whatever SSD/HDD I have for now, but need to upgrade as their fairly small. I think the SDD is 256 or 512 and the HDD is 1TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I have a bunch of fans and other parts I can send you if you want them. Better thermal paste, AIO pump, etc.
Appreciate the offer but I think I'm good. I have a couple Noctua fans in my current case that I'll move over. Also not going the water cooled route, trying to keep it simple for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
semi modular is fine, it'll still help considerably with cable management, especially if your case is on the smaller size.

RAM used to be super sensitive to brands and timings but not so much nowadays. However when using multiple sticks, (and you should, when using at least 2 sticks the computer runs in dual channel mode which has something like 30% more performance over a single stick in single channel mode) they should to be paired appropriately (same speed, same timings, same brand), and placed in the slots appropriately as well. You'll notice that most RAM kits come like this.

If the motherboard has 2 RAM slots, thats a no brainer. If it has 4, they're usually labelled A1/A2, and B1/B2, and the slots are usually colour matched.

You want to pair them as A1/B1 (A2/B2), which would also be the colour match.
I think you can pair them as A1/A2 if you want but its supposed to be better when they're colour matched (i stopped reading/caring about the intricacies about why things are the way they are....so i just set it up the way the manual would tell me is the ideal way)

I think you can still pair 2 random sticks together, but in the computer world everything will run at the level of the weakest link (so if there are 2 speeds of ram, it'll run using the specs of the slower one). And having 2 completely different sticks may not efficiently.
Yeah, the RAM i bought came as 2x8GB. Figured Id start with 16Gb and go from there. Compared to my 8Gb of DDR3 currently I'm sure it'll be fine lmao

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote