View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 10:22 AM   #4248
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
semi modular is fine, it'll still help considerably with cable management, especially if your case is on the smaller size.

RAM used to be super sensitive to brands and timings but not so much nowadays. However when using multiple sticks, (and you should, when using at least 2 sticks the computer runs in dual channel mode which has something like 30% more performance over a single stick in single channel mode) they should to be paired appropriately (same speed, same timings, same brand), and placed in the slots appropriately as well. You'll notice that most RAM kits come like this.

If the motherboard has 2 RAM slots, thats a no brainer. If it has 4, they're usually labelled A1/A2, and B1/B2, and the slots are usually colour matched.

You want to pair them as A1/B1 (A2/B2), which would also be the colour match.
I think you can pair them as A1/A2 if you want but its supposed to be better when they're colour matched (i stopped reading/caring about the intricacies about why things are the way they are....so i just set it up the way the manual would tell me is the ideal way)

I think you can still pair 2 random sticks together, but in the computer world everything will run at the level of the weakest link (so if there are 2 speeds of ram, it'll run using the specs of the slower one). And having 2 completely different sticks may not efficiently.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-04-2023)