finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymboc View Post
Following up my post in the Automatic transmission selector details? Thread with a more indepth how-to quoting Trojan_SC's posts for the portions I didn't photo-document myself.

Follow this guide to swap the position of '+' and '-' position on the gear selector stick for the automatic transmission. This helped me because our other car (a mazda) has this set up opposite (ie: properly) compared to the FRS.

Here we go...
  1. Remove the filler/cubby above the shifter surround and disconnect its wiring.
    I found this a bit tricky... I got it started by pulling on the the right, but had to push *down* hard on the left side while pulling to get it to come loose. Rubber/Nitrile gloves will help with your grip on the part
  2. Remove the shifter surround, unscrew the shift knob, and disconnect its wiring.
    (Trojan_SC's post quoted with manual selector shown but procedure is the same)
    The trick to this is to reach down through the boot and pull along the rim of the boot starting at the top closest to where the cubby/filler was.
  3. Loosen the E-Brake surround from the center console
    Again, reach through the boot and pull up along the rim of the boot.
  4. Remove center console and disconnect its wiring. (Screws 6 places: two under filler/cubby, two under shifter surround, two under cup-holder).

5. Identify the junction connector located at top of shifter assembly. Slide it to the right while pushing in the tab to detach it from the assembly.

6. Disconnect the Junction Connector from the wiring harness. We're going to be working with the shifter side of the junction connector. Here's a 'before' picture with the pairs of wires you need to swap identified.

7. Depin, Swap & Repin the wire pairs. Be sure to lift up the flap identified in the step 5 photo before you begin. You'll need something tiny (like a precision screwdriver) to reach in from the connector side to lift up the plastic retainer that holds the wire/pin in place. When you're done your Connector should look like this:

8. Follow steps 1-7 in reverse order.
Done.

Tip: Don't bother trying to test the shifter function before reassembly until you've reconnected the shifter-surround wiring... save yourself the panic... it wont let you go into 'M' mode until you've reconnected everything.

Hindsight: I had originally tried to swap only one wire (instead of pairs) because the second wire of the pairs is a common ground and actually shouldn't need to be moved.... however when I tested -- before I discovered the above tip/quirk -- it didn't work. I neglected to take a picture of my wiring at this point. So I proceeded to swap the pairs and then discovered the above tip/quirk of the arrangement. Since the only photos I took were of the swapped pairs I've kept the instructions to how I've left the wiring in my own car.
To remover the wires, do you go from the plug side or from the opening above where the little tab you flipped up covered? And will I be pushing down or pulling up?

Sorry, never unpinned a plug before and youtube didnt help much. lol TIA

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote