View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JoeC, DarkPira7e, scoobydrew, thank you, very much!! I appreciate the benefit of your actual ownership experiences, and your objectivity. On a BRZ forum, it wouldn't be surprising to hear a chorus of 'hell yeah go for it!', because the BRZ is a great car. I appreciate your thoughtful, reasoned comments.

JoeC and DarkPira7e, you're right. I'm looking for something semi-niche, a small, light 'sports' car (I'm a hard-core gear head, and have owned well over 100 cars in nearly 50 years of driving). Like millions of other people have carped, if the BRZ had 'more power' (like, the 268 hp WRX engine) it would be a no-brainer and I would have bought it a year ago. But that will never happen, thanks to the Toyota bosses and their need to protect the Supra from cannibalization.

I hope to keep my WRX for as long as possible. It's such fun to drive! In some ways it reminds me of some of the old Saab Turbos I used to own, great ergonomics and visibility, practical but with power and handling.

My budget is up to $30k's. Enough to buy a new BRZ Limited, or something else used.

The 370Z came very close a couple of times. It was a blast to drive, in many ways like a BRZ, a simple, elemental car but with a lot more power. But with the non-existent visibility and cramped interior, I didn't see using it that much. No car is perfect, especially in my price range. In hindsight, I probably should have bought a 370Z. It seems like the closest to what I'm dreaming of.

I used to ride motorcycles in my younger years (teens and 20's). It was a loooonng time ago. At this point in my life, I don't want to be the stereotype of the 60-something guy getting back into bikes after 40+ years, and then killing myself on it because my reflexes aren't what they used to be (besides, my wife would probably kill me sooner than the bike if I brought one home; I still have scars from two near-fatal accidents as a teenager on them).

Thanks again!
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote