Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombinhood@OpenFlash View Post
...Hopefully open source tuning (which is now finally here!) will get them to shape up and improve upon their product.
I don't think its right to mix "open source" and "tuning" in this way. I agree this opens up the tune file, but what about the hardware? That is not open itself, so no real "source code" is open here from what I can tell.

If you guys release the source code for everything then that would be really awesome!

EDIT: I just got this from their website..

It is a portable hand held flashing device with high-resolution backlit color touchscreen with internal speaker. It comes with a USB cable, OBDII cable and download links for the OpenFlash software (map manager), map editor (Tuner Pro) and XML definition files.

What is “open” ECU mapping?
The term “open”, in the tuning world, refers to being able to have full access to the ECU’s ROM file. In the case of the FA20 ECU, this ROM file is a 1.3megabyte binary (.bin) file that is stored in a memory location on your ECU. This file is where all the engine mapping data is stored. By “full access”, you are able to read, save and edit your original ROM file without any sort of encryption. You will also have full knowledge of table location (when defined in the .XDF definition file), its values and its scaling. There is nothing hidden or obscured for the sake of IP protection. Even the dealership won’t be able to easily tell if the ECU is modified since the software IDs are unchanged.

I think this can be considered "open" since the .bin is fully open to read and edit in a potentially different piece of hardware. Correct? But I still don't consider that "open source" at all like you used since none of the software you are using seems to be using an open source license...
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote