View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 01:14 AM   #17
AlmondChassis

Drives: Subaru BRZ MY16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisPower View Post
I've setup a couple of these diffs but my experience is only with oem Toyota gearsets so I can't speak about weir or mfactory. When it comes to the Toyota gears I've found that the pinion shim that came with original gears almost always gives the best pattern even with the new gears. Unfortunately, unlike with some domestic differentials that have tools you can use to actually measure your pinion depth, theres nothing like that for these diffs and nothing called out in the service manual except to set to a specific backlash and check the pattern. There's also a couple of other things that need to be checked such as pinion bearing preload, side bearing preload, backlash in multiple locations of the gear, and overall runout. Your pattern doesn't look horrible but could possibly be better with a thinner pinion shim. The other big question is did you install stiffer differential bushings/inserts when you reinstalled everything. Also for future reference, this page provides all the part numbers necessary for installing oem toyota gearsets ranging from 3.58 all the way up to 5.125 incase anyone else will ever need this info. http://www.a-t-s.co.jp/19new_item/in...owfinallsd.php
Do you know the part number of a genuine Toyota 4.88 Ring and Pinion set that will fit in the BRZ? I was looking at Nitro Gears website which they have 4.88 set that are made in the same facility as Toyota. Unfortunately they don't ship to Australia.
AlmondChassis is offline   Reply With Quote