View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #853
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't believe I have this issue. I'll have to check next time, but I believe the fans turn on and off, and the lower neck is hot/warm to the touch. I do have a turbo, so there is more heat in the system, but my coolant temps are always in the middle. I didn't have issues with burping the system, and I didn't drill holes or anything. I also live in California, so ambient temps are higher, so maybe that makes a difference.

I don't know if this really is an issue of not having enough heat going to the thermostat to open the thermostat. The thermostat sits in a housing that is getting filled with hot coolant constantly. When the thermostat is closed, the water still circulates through the thermostat housing back into the motor. When the thermostat opens, part of the water goes to the radiator, and the other part continues to circulate into the motor. You can see the hole here where the water returns to the water pump. If the hose going to the thermostat housing was just a dead-end branch that relied on convection/conduction of heat to the thermostat then maybe two lines would bring heat faster to the thermostat, but that is not the case. Maybe the heater is pulling off so much heat that the coolant is cool enough, but I can run my heater full blast on high, and the hose leaving the heater is still hot to the touch.

If you don't like the fans going so much then I would change the fan setting to be higher than the thermostat open point. Did you cut holes in your thermostat or do anything to modify the system? Do you get super hot air from the heater and feel the system is fully burped?

The last thing I wonder is that the Hybrid Racing plug seems to be widely used without much discussion from heating issues that I have found, but maybe I didn't search well enough, so is it not an issue because people are racing their cars more or living in warmer climates or something that doesn't cause an issue, or is this a widespread problem?