MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Total amateur here, but here is what I would try, assuming you are concerned about the boat getting spun around. Turn the boat into the wind first. Tighten the main sheet, hoist the mainsail, hoist the headsail, let the main sheet out, turn onto your tack. Also assuming you have an engine to get you turned. The idea is that the mainsail will keep your direction stable while you get the headsail up.

I haven't sailed anything much bigger than a sunfish myself, so I may have no idea what I am talking about.
That all makes sense. I should probably spend more time sailing with just the headsail or just the mainsail to see how the boat handles. When both sails are up, I try to balance the trim so there's a bit of weather helm for safety, i.e., the boat gradually heads up when I take my hands off the tiller. Under mainsail alone, there should be even more weather helm naturally built in, so cleating off the mainsheet as you suggest would make sense, although when hoisting either sail I've always left the sheets free. If I head directly upwind (I do have an 8hp outboard), cleat the mainsheet so the boom is centered, then hoist the main, will that keep the boat pointed directly upwind without lashing the tiller?

I should probably just "sack up" and go out and try a few things... but it's kind of like flying.... most of the time, it's boring, but when it isn't, it's absolutely terrifying.
Dadhawk (09-19-2021), Spuds (09-19-2021)