View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
nanxun

Drives: Mazda3 (looking for a used FR-S)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Greetings and questions about 2013 vs. 2014 FR-S

Hey, guys.

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, so please be gentle!

After getting into an accident last Tue (Valentine's Day), my insurance co. deemed my beloved 2014 Mazda3 hatch (2.0L) a "total loss."

So, I'm looking for a new ride and seriously considering getting into a used FR-S. I've already seat-tested a couple examples from the 2013 model year and love the car's dynamics.

I have two used examples in my sights:

1. An orange ("hot lava") example from the 2013 model year with 36.5k miles on the clock and an asking price of $13.8k (private seller).

Went to look at and test drive this car today. It has the well-known issue of condensation in one taillight assembly as well as a bit of curb rash on all 4 rims (??!), signs of minor brushing up against other objects/cars (minor scuffs) on the driver's side front fender and left-rear bumper, a door ding, etc.

2. a dark gray ("asphalt") 2014 example with 23.0k miles and an asking price of $16.0k (at a dealer; OTD price will be more like $17k, I assume). Haven't yet test driven or looked at this car in person.

Questions: all revolving around my concerns about quality control for the initial production run in 2013
1. Will having a mechanic pull the diagnostic codes off the ECU on the 2013 car be sufficient to determine if it had a faulty ECU mapping from the factory (improper/unsteady idle and associated problems)?

2. If it did have an ECU issue, will this have potentially damaged the engine and thus affected its (the engine's) long-term reliability?

3. Is it worth my peace of mind to pay $3k more for a 2014 example with 13.5k fewer miles and most of the first year production gremlins worked out? Or is it possible that the 2013 car is mechanically and electrically sound and thus a solid car (for the long-haul) at a great price?

4. Finally, am I missing or overlooking any other issues either with the quality control on the 2013 car or otherwise?

Any guidance or advice would be most welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nanxun; 02-20-2017 at 11:09 PM.
nanxun is offline   Reply With Quote