View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #2561
DM7

Drives: '13 FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA9092 View Post
Lol. Uh, just another Supra review? Thanks, Matt, for nothing.

I usually like his reviews...but...

He mentions, on paper, that Toyota "totally reworked" the car with "so many necessary changes" for 2021. Really? What were so many complaints about? Nearly all professional drivers and auto journalists raved about the 2020. Then the 2021 comes out and they bash the 2020 with all the complaints all of a sudden. Lol. WTF?

Now, granted ingress and egress is always a bit challenging in a sports car...because, sports car! Lol. Either, don't buy a sports car, lose some weight or start a yoga routine. Lol. Jeez. It's a Supra, not an ES300.

Oh, and yes, the wind-buffeting issue is a nuisance. But there are over a handful of aftermarket remedies for that. Not a reason to avoid the car as other magazine journalists have mentioned.

He also mentioned all the changes on paper - chassis, dampers, eps, esc, e-diff and bumpstops. But I watched the entire video...TWICE...and he never mentioned that he actually noticed any differences between the 2020 and 2021 in spirited canyon driving. Hmmm. He even said he couldn't tell the difference in power from the previous car. Maybe a side-by-side track comparison may reveal the changes, but I consider Matt a good driver and auto journalist. If he didn't notice any of the changes in a spirited canyon road, do you think most Supra buyers will too?

I love how he also mentioned it's a good "in-between" car. To most people, the Supra is a dream car and not a stepping stone to an Italian exotic. That sounded a bit pompous to me. But when you've driven a GT3, many cars will be just "okay" by comparison. And since the mentioned them, the Boxster/Cayman starts in $60Ks, the Corvette (I'm assuming he was referring to the C8) starts in the $60Ks and $70Ks but he prefers a TTRS (which I love as well) which starts at $67K.

So in conclusion, I don't see how he can say that anyone who bought a 2020 model got hosed. There's nothing to back it up, especially since he didn't mention to note any changes while driving. Okay, maybe resale value. But that only hurts because of people swaying towards the 2021 because of 47hp. Ugh. Really? I think the only hurt Toyota caused was all the dealer markups last year.

I'll take a 2020 3.0 Premium with under 10k miles (from all those in line for a C8 or wanting to trade up to the 2021) for $43K than a 2021 3.0 Premium at MSRP.

Thanks for posting, @gymratter
Early 2020 Supra reviews were positive compared to reviews done later because a lot of the reviews were done at Toyota press launches. Toyota invites a bunch of journalists and reviewers to stay at a hotel, eat/drink and drive around a race track all day. This is a good way to win a few favourable reviews. The track that was used for the US press launch was really tight and technical which was well suited to a car that rotates. Some reviewers will also influence each others opinions. Each wave of reviews that come out will sound pretty similar.

Matt's reviews are aimed at an audience who care about how a car drives on the commute and on a Sunday cruise. When Matt talks about wind buffeting, ingress/egress, curb appeal, resale value, where the Supra belong in the sports car hierarchy; these are all valid points when you consider he's reviewing the Supra from a Los Angeles lifestyle perspective.

Only a small number of things Matt talks about actually matter to me. The Supra reviews from Savage Geese resonate with me much more.
DM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DM7 For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (06-15-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (06-16-2020)